ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Windshields

Old November 17th, 2010   #11
barryst1300

Default Re: Windshield with a flip

Hi All,
I'm located in Brisbane Australia, and I just recieved my bike Quip screen from the UK a few weeks ago. It has teh flip up lip at the top, and is also 4 inches wider at the top and 2 inches wider at the bottom.

I have to say that I'm more than impressed with the new screen. The reduction in buffetting and rider comfort was beyond my expectations. But what impressed me most, was the difference the new screen made to the ST!300's stability in the turbulant air you encounter when ridding the freeways.

With the stock screen, when I come up behind a truck and trailer combination or a larger 4WD, the disturbed air flow made my bike move around quite a bit. The new screen is a big improvement in that area.

So I highly recommend the Bike Quip screen. BTW. I'm 5'11" and went for the 2 inch taller screen, and have it set on the lowest setting.

Barry
barryst1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010   #12
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 129 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Just a bit more info - Bike-Quip is run by Keith Munroe and he is located not too far from me. I have bought various bits and pieces from him. A friend has been down to see him to view samples before purchase. He is a very helpful chap.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010   #13
ralphn0
Donators

Joe,
Can you tell why and in which order you pick the best windshields?
Thanks,
Ralph
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010   #14
West Aussie Glen
Donators

Rep Power: 0 West Aussie Glen has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1300 View Post
Hi All,
I'm located in Brisbane Australia, and I just recieved my bike Quip screen from the UK a few weeks ago. It has teh flip up lip at the top, and is also 4 inches wider at the top and 2 inches wider at the bottom.

I have to say that I'm more than impressed with the new screen. The reduction in buffetting and rider comfort was beyond my expectations. But what impressed me most, was the difference the new screen made to the ST!300's stability in the turbulant air you encounter when ridding the freeways.

With the stock screen, when I come up behind a truck and trailer combination or a larger 4WD, the disturbed air flow made my bike move around quite a bit. The new screen is a big improvement in that area.

So I highly recommend the Bike Quip screen. BTW. I'm 5'11" and went for the 2 inch taller screen, and have it set on the lowest setting.

Barry
Barry,
How about some photos, maybe one holding the new screen against the original. Have you noticed any change in fuel consumption?
Regards
Glen
West Aussie Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010   #15
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Sure, but just remember that these are just my own personal reasons.

I like to look over my windshields so that I don't have to deal with not being able to see through them due to dirt or rain, etc. So, I need the air flowing over my helmet to be as smooth as possible.

Also, my wife sometimes likes to ride with me and I have found that a wide windshield helps to eliminate her head buffetting. We learned this through trial and error (lots of errors). ;-)

When I had my ST1100, I used a Clearview tall windshield with cateye cutouts and then put Saeng's Stealth edging on it. That worked pretty well for us. However, the ST1300 was different. For one thing, it had an electrically adjustable windshield. But, it's stock windshield sucked for me. It didn't protect us from windbuffetting at all and it created a lot of back pressure.

I started experimenting. I tried the Cee Bailey's first. I got the six inch wider one and that solved my wife's head buffetting problem. However, I thought that they were too thick. Then I sold my first ST1300.

Later, I got another one and it came with a Rifle windshield. I didn't like it because it didn't solve either of our head buffetting issues. So, I thought I'd try the Aeroflow that I had read about. I had recently met Paige Ortiz who makes them during an Iron Butt Association gathering. He explained his theories on air flow. It was a bit more expensive, though. I tried it and like how smooth you could make the air flowing against your helmet.

But, during hot summers, it kept a lot of air from getting to my jacket sleeves. I use that to cool off. Also, that big of a shield affected gas mileage. So, I tried a few other shields. I test road Maura's bike with a Cal Sci shield (I think). It worked well as far as wind buffetting but, I thought that the quality was not as good.

I tried a Clearview and liked it too but, the air flow wasn't as smooth as the Aeroflow for me.

Then Paige contacted me about a summer version of his shield and asked if I would test it and report how I liked it. So, I did that.

It too smoothed out the air around my head but, it also allowed more air to reach my sleeves and increased my fuel economy.

That's what I look for:
  1. Smooth air flow to my head.
  2. Smooth air flow to my wife's head.
  3. I need to look over the shield.
  4. I need air to my sleeves in hot weather but, want to protect my hands in cold or wet weather.
  5. Good fuel economy.
However, I found that I needed 2 shields to attain all that: one for summer that was narrower and one for winter that was wider.

So, does that answer your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphn0 View Post
Joe,
Can you tell why and in which order you pick the best windshields?
Thanks,
Ralph
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010   #16
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

So many windshields, so little time. I solved my windshield problem with a jig saw by cutting five inches off my stock unit. Usually ride with it all the way down, no back pressure and in fact the wind on my shoulders lifts the weight of my sore wrists. I don't ride freeways and the extra air flow keeps me cool in hot weather.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010   #17
1300astro

http://www.bikescreen.com/search.asp
Old November 22nd, 2010   #18
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

No, there wouldn't be any back-pressure with the screen all the way down for any screen.

When we mention back-pressure, we're talking about when you start to raise the shield. With yours cut back, I'm not even sure you'd feel back-pressure if you raised it. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWingit View Post
So many windshields, so little time. I solved my windshield problem with a jig saw by cutting five inches off my stock unit. Usually ride with it all the way down, no back pressure and in fact the wind on my shoulders lifts the weight of my sore wrists. I don't ride freeways and the extra air flow keeps me cool in hot weather.

Ed
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010   #19
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

Joe, My cut down screen does have a little back pressure when raised but my perseption my also be because when raised I lose the lift that all down gives me. When raised I can just see over it by an inch or two. I think the motor raises the screen almost eight inches so you are correct, the stock screen down had no back pressure for me , it just didn't give me the lift and cooling.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote