ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Windshields

Old December 10th, 2012   #11
GRN

Default Re: Best solvent for cleaning windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
Cheap, readily available and dissolves bugs magically- hydrogen peroxide. Does not harm plastic in any way . I start with this, I finish with Plexus.
+1

You can also try multi step plastic polishing compounds for removing scratches. try it on a small area by hand to start, if it works buy a big bottle and break out the drill mounted buffing head. Had a friend restore a vintage BMT screen this way, looked as new when done.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012   #12
BURNOUT

There are now many products out on the market. Most folks are using the "car" plastic headlight restoration kits to restore motorcycle windshields. Sylvainia and 3M being the topped ranked. Most local auto parts outlets will have them right in STOC....
STOC #949
Syracuse, NY

BURNOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012   #13
echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasacombs View Post
My windshield is dirty and foggy doesnt come clean. Any suggestions as to the best solvent with which to clean it?

So is mine.So what? 95% of the time its all the way down. Why worry yourself about it? If I worried about things like that Id be back in the mental hospital.

Last edited by echo; December 10th, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old December 10th, 2012   #14
jcorosa

Thanks for your responses. So is my windshield permanently damaged? Did the ammonia glass cleaner just leave a residue or did it damage the finish on the plexiglass windshield?

I cant find a tread discussing this and I'll be surprised if nobody has experienced this before.

I want to understand this first before I try another cleaner/polish.
jcorosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012   #15
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 129 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Marks on the screen can always be polished out. It's just a case of using various grades of cutting and polishing compound, working from sufficiently aggressive through to final mirror polish. For years my dad and I made resin paperweights with coins, model cars, dried flowers, etc., inside and when we finished polishing them they were mirror finished and optically clear. Some came back having been dropped by the owner and we had to polish out some quite deep scratches and we never failed to get the paperweight back to 'as new'. We started with heavier grade wet papers, moving up to finer grades until moving onto polishing mops and cutting compounds, finishing off with fine polish compound. Doesn't take that long. The standard ST1300 screen is quite thick so deep polish recovery will have little effect on the overall strength and thickness. Takes a bit of nerve so perhaps try it out on some other piece of plastic if you can.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012   #16
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 94 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

The damage is pretty much permanent.
Headlight restoration kits are a fairly aggressive (grit) cleaning solution that removes a fine layer but the hazing will return. What the commercials do not say is headlights have a coating and it is the coating that has become damaged. Remove the coating and you get into the plastic itself. You may get it clear but the protection is now gone and the haze will return faster than before.
Better made Windshields have similar coatings. I know the Cee-Baily are coated and I believe the stock Honda is also.

If your going to attempt a fix you will need two products.
A plastic cleaner.
A plastic polish.
Most products are two in one cleaners and polish they are not aggressive enough to remove anything tougher than bugs so they will do little to repair a problem.
3M has a plastic cleaner and a plastic polish sold separately. Available at most auto parts shops and certainly at auto paint supply places.
These are going to be very mild in terms of aggression but that is where you need to be.

I do not believe your shield is repairable. If you try just but the cleaner and see if it will remove the haze. If it does then but the polish. You will need to take "special care" of the shield from now on as the hazing will continue to return and it will return faster and faster. In relatively short order you will have invested more in cleaning and polishing that replacing.
Put your money into replacing and use only products designed for plastic.

*****WARNING****OPINION****FOLLOWS****
Plexus is a proven product.
Plexus is widely available.
It cleans and protects.
Small travel size cans are available (I never clean a shield on the road)

Invest in a good quality soft 100% cotton cleaning cloth and wash it after every use if you subscribe to the no clean on the road theory, if not use one side then the other then wash. Wash cleaning towels separately with liquid soap and no fabric softener.

To repair dings/scratches.
NOVUS 1 & 2 If you need 3 you have a serious scratch and there are other ways. If 2 first then 1 will not fix it consider replacement.

Paul
Old December 10th, 2012   #17
TimM

Meguiar's makes a range of products to clean plastic. I keep bottles of #10 and #17 handy. Wash with clean soapy water until bugs are mostly gone; then apply #17.

#17 works well on coated plastics like helmet shields, too.

But if your windshield is fogged, could be it has sat in a garage with open solvent containers. The vapors of which will fog and even craze most plastics. If this has happened, get rid of all those cans of paint, thinners, etc., and buy a new shield.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012   #18
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 156 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Best solvent for cleaning windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
If I worried about things like that Id be back in the mental hospital.

We never doubted you.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote