ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Windshields

Old May 26th, 2014   #1
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Windshield goes up and not down.

Happened about a month ago, the screen would go up but not down, It self righted itself the next ride but has happened again now, so I'm suspecting a poor contact somewhere, Any pointers anyone? Is this a standard type fault?
Oh, it's an 06 ST1300A
Ta.
Old May 26th, 2014   #2
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I had to replace mine when this happened to mine. The gears were the problem.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014   #3
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Windshield goes up and not down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I had to replace mine when this happened to mine. The gears were the problem.
It doesn't appear to be making any noises from the motor like you would expect from damaged gears...
Old May 26th, 2014   #4
Apex

Check Contacts. I have an '03 ST1300. My windshield stopped going up and down too! I have a Calsi windshield. If it's not covered under warranty take it apart and check the contacts. Make sure none are touching each another. There were two contacts that were close enough togetherto cause a malfunction. I moved them apart from each other and added a small piece of black electrical tape to further insulate them. Simple fix. Problem solved! I hadn't had any problems since.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014   #5
nikonhonda

Per zldrider, I think it is also the internal motor gear. The one gear pushes and pulls two stacked cables and because the gear is made out of sintered metal it is brittle and due to the factory lube turning to mud, it runs dry and wears in itself a groove to where it longer grabs the cable.
The gear is not available as a replacement part and you have to buy the complete windshield assembly from Honda, about $550.
But if you contact carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com he has machined and heat-treated a replacement gear made from a steel alloy.
Replacing the gear requires removal, dis-assembly, and cleaning of the of the windshield unit which took three evenings but cost about a third of a new unit. On my unit, the motor, rails, cables, micro-switches were not worn out, just the gear.
It did help me understand how it worked and is now on a maintenance schedule; Honda does not specific a routine shedule for this unit.
PM me with your email and I will send you the PDFs; they were too large to attach in this post.
nikonhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014   #6
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

You can shrink the size of the pics with any photo editor even Paintbrush.

640 x 480 is a good pixel size for Internet forums.

If you don't know how, send them to me @ jzulaski@hotmail.com.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014   #7
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

I hate intermittent faults. I took the screen off today to have a look at the gearing, when I started it wasn't going down as per the fault, I still don't think it was a gear problem, there was no noise at all moving the switch, I had a look and wiped round the channels and flicked the limit switches a couple of times, retried it and away she goes. I can force the fault by actuating the lower limit switch and although its impossible to get a good look at it without removing the forward cowl the upper one looked grubby enough to make me think it could have maybe been jammed or stuck somehow.

One thing that did strike my mind was when I put the shield back on, I reckon there's an amount of variation in distance between the runners as they go up and down so to avoid extra stress on the motor and gears I reckon the screen wants fitting with the screen position about half way up, then it's doing less work if there is some variation between top and bottom.