ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Riding Techniques > MSF Discussions

MSF Discussions Discussions on what the MSF is teaching.

Old February 3rd, 2010   #1
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default New On-Road Riding course to be offered in the Seattle/Everett Washington area

I'll soon be going through the training for WA State's new "On-Road" riding course.

This is a hybrid course that will diverge from what the MSF offers (which is a very watered down course).

We'll be covering more advanced riding techniques along with hazard awareness skills. It will depend upon how good the students are as to how advanced we get.

I'll post more here as I go through the course but, I do know that it was put together by Dave Wendle and Chris Johnson and that it does diverge from the MSF curriculum quite a bit. It already has been reviewed by WA State and approved and Dave has already started offering it.

I'll be going through the training with Chris' company.

If nothing else, it will provide a welcome break from the tedious parking lot classes that I already teach for beginning riders.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010   #2
Deano
Donators

Default Re: New On-Road Riding course to be offered in the Seattle/Everett Washington area

Any updates on this training Joe?

"Ain't nothing stoppin us now but the leavin' of it all"

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Sold)
2008 ST1300A "Scarlet" (Glory Red is the Fastest)
2008 Kaw C14 (Sold)
2003 ST1300 (RIP)
15 years in No Bike Land
1986 Nighthawk S (sold)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010   #3
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: New On-Road Riding course to be offered in the Seattle/Everett Washington area

Hi Deano,

Yes, I have a bit more info now but, my training has been delayed as it is a bit more complicated than Chris thought at first. I'm now looking at the beginning of May.

Here's a quick synopsis of what the class will entail:

There will be two instructors. One will lead and one will bring up the rear.

The first time out (route 1), the lead instructor will be commenting on various dangers he sees while riding, why he's changing lane position, etc. Sweep rider will remain quiet.

We will have a choice for the next 2nd route. One option is easier (less technical) for riders who may not be as advanced. Another option will be more technical with some twisties thrown in.

The lead instructor will lead the four students along the route while the second "sweep" instructor coaches the rider directly in front of him on techniques, etc. Along the way, the 4 students will slowly swap positions to get "coached" by the 2nd instructor.

There will be classroom sessions too. We'll talk about scanning for hazards and practicing that. We'll also talk about riding techniques and practice them.

All in all, it should be a lot of fun.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old May 21st, 2010   #4
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

An update on this:

Interest in this class has exploded and so, Chris has been reprioritizing the training. He also found out that the training is more involved along with the logistics.

So, we're now looking at the training being in the June/July timeframe and the classes probably starting in August.

STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old June 25th, 2011   #5
GRN

I'm in process for getting cert. for this and IRT's. I'm also working on adapting a curriculum that I started work on about 5 years ago to propose as the compliment to the "On Street Course" which deals primarily with SEEing and higher density/in town traffic strategy. The ideas I have put together are more of an "Open Road Course" dealing with handling dynamics, cornering, and open road strategies. The PNW is different than the rest of the world... for some reason our biggest killer is single vehicle accidents, primarily involving missed corners. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011   #6
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Sounds good, Greg.

Unfortunately, I had to drop out of the On-Road training and cut-back on teaching in general due to my "other" job taking so much of my time.

I haven't heard anything as to whether Chris has gotten the On-Road class up and running yet since my last post in this thread.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old June 27th, 2011   #7
Deano
Donators

I have little traffic to deal with locally, but that makes my skills in that environment suspect. I look forward to the mentoring approach. We all hit the road with a perception of our abilities. Sometimes perception is reality and sometimes not.
Looking forward to seeing this curriculum!

"Ain't nothing stoppin us now but the leavin' of it all"

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Sold)
2008 ST1300A "Scarlet" (Glory Red is the Fastest)
2008 Kaw C14 (Sold)
2003 ST1300 (RIP)
15 years in No Bike Land
1986 Nighthawk S (sold)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote