ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Other

Other The catch-all location for all the other "farkles" that you've added.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: Speedometer recalibration devices

My guess is the odometer is based on the speedometer, which we already know is off.

So you're putting less miles on the bike than the odometer shows, by whatever factor you come up with doing your math. So I'm devaluing the bike a tad more than it's already devalued, which is significant enough that I'm probably going to run it into the ground, and then get something else.

So far, from what I've seen coming out of Mother Honda, it'll probably be a Yamaha.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
The Sigma is not "an add-on speedometer" but is in fact a extreemly accurate computer that is set by directly measuring the roll-out of the tire.
If you demand complete and total accuracy at all times the roll-out measurement can be adjusted as the tire wears.
Yes, I know what a bicycle computer is. I have a couple of them in a box somewhere. I see Sigma now have one specifically made/marketed for motorcycles. Did they ever figure out that people sometimes ride motorcycles at night? The inability to see the readout in the dark (without having to press a button) was the main reason why I never bothered installing one.

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Sigma had at one time, I haven't look recently, a little light that attached the same as the computer.
Nice soft non-distracting glow.
I use one for the Sigma and another is mounted on my roll chart holder.
Battery life has been in years of measure.

Paul
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroadrider View Post
I've checked my speedo out so many times, in so many ways. Radar speedo checkers on the side of the road, stopwatches, I even have a device left over from my railroad days that calculates exactly how long it takes you to get from point A to point B. All those words to say, it's 7% optimistic, constantly.
Exactly what I found running replicate tests and multiple different speeds compared to GPS. I ran the analysis over several days to account for any alleged lack of GPS precision and accuracy. The GPS was extremely consistent, refuting some of the arguments that it's a poor gauge. I plugged the correction factor into a speedohealer and my speedometer was dead nuts accurate compared to GPS, distance clocking signs and those radar traffic speed signs.

There was some error on the odometer too, it was showing about 2% too high as opposed to the 7% error of the speedometer. After correcting the speedometer the odometer was running 3-4% low. Over 100,000 miles that's only a 3-4000 mile discrepancy. Not very important in the greater scheme of things.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
railroadrider
Donators

My odo reads almost exactly 1% high based on comparisons with 4 other vehicles over the exact same 72 mile commute. My assumption, and we all know how to spell assume, is there is an electronic connection within the speedo. Said connection induces the difference, not that any of this really makes any difference. My mechanical minded brain just likes to contemplate.
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote