ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Suspension

Old November 8th, 2010   #1
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Race Tech'd my forks Saturday

And then went for a short test ride. Suspension is noticeably more compliant and handles small sharp-edged bumps better. Dive under braking seems better controlled too. Between the Race Tech rebuilt shock and the Gold Valves in the forks, the fork changes are more noticeable. I already had Sonic 1.2 springs up front. I'm still tweaking the rear shock in with respect to preload and rebound setting.

Only had to call tech support a couple of times, missing step in the instructions and an extra backing plate shim for the rebound valve, that it turns out I don't need. I changed all the bushings and seals whilst I was at it as well.

Went for a more extensive test ride on Sunday and I'm pretty pleased with the front. I think I still have too much preload dialed in out back. I'm backing it off 1/2 turn at a time and it's getting closer. Funny, it felt like too little preload before I put the Gold Valves in the front.

Overall the ride is calmer and less busy feeling making for a more stable platform from which to attack the corners. The stiffer rate spring out back seems to preserve more ground clearance as well.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010   #2
Paul

Default Re: Race Tech'd my forks Saturday

Did you keep the 1.2 Sonic's or go with RT springs?
I believe you were running 7wt oil. Any change in weight or amount?

Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010   #3
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Kept the Sonics and the same preload spacers. Race Tech recommends 5wt oil so that's what I used (Redline Synthetic). They also suggested 110mm for the level where Sonic had recommended 125mm, I went with the Race Tech recommendation this time 'round. I did add a few ounces of Redline 7.5wt (I previously blended from 50/50 5wt & 10wt) to top the forks off as the 16oz bottle was not quite enough to fill one leg. Less than 10% of the mix is 7.5wt I would guess, but it was on the shelf and handy.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Old November 8th, 2010   #4
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
Only had to call tech support a couple of times, missing step in the instructions and an extra backing plate shim for the rebound valve, that it turns out I don't need.
Sounds promising! I picked up a set last time I was in CA, but have yet to install them. What was the missing step, and which shim was surplus? Thanks.

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010   #5
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Well the missing step was mostly my fault. There's an aluminum cap (the tech at Race Tech called in a bottoming cone) at the bottom end of the cartridge assembly and it must be removed before you can pull out the compression damper valve. I didn't realize at first that it was removable but had I looked in the manual.....

The first shim you install is at the top of the valve assembly and is called a backing plate. The instructions call for only one of them but there are two in the package. Calling Race Tech a second time confirmed that I only needed to use one of them
All the other shims go on the bottom side of the valve body and have a smaller through hole.

The trickiest part is doing the rebound valve which rides on the damper rod. The valve body and shim stack are held on by a nut threaded to the end of the rod. The threaded section is hollow and instead of using thread locker, Honda puts some kind of a punch into the hollow end and swages it out behind the nut. Once you get that nut off, the threaded section seems to be stretched a bit in diameter. That and the buggered end where it was swaged, makes it difficult/impossible to thread the new RaceTech retainer piece on. Since the RT part is brass, you sure don't want to force it. I ended up finessing the ends of the threads with my bench grinder and then running an M7 X 1.0 thread die over it to clean and re-size them. After that it's just a matter of assembling the valve bits and shims in sequence per Race Tech's instructions. The compression valves in the base of the cartridge come pre-assembled and pretty much pop right in once you realize the aluminum end of the cartridge slips off of the steel body.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Last edited by Wjbertrand; November 8th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old November 8th, 2010   #6
dduelin
Loquacious Member

What are your sag numbers with the Sonics and their preload spacers?
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010   #7
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
What are your sag numbers with the Sonics and their preload spacers?
I was shooting for 1.25" - 1.5" Had to do it myself, so I'm not positive I hit it exactly. Same for the front and the rear.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Old November 9th, 2010   #8
1300astro

Jeff I made a standing stick for lack of a better description, it was actually a yard stick, cut a block of wood that would fit over the yard stick so that it was flush to the yard stick, put screws in a cover plate and tightened it down, it was a little loose so I put a piece of cardboard (cereal box) which gave it enough friction to hold it, stood the bike up with no load, slid the stick in place, marked it with a pencil I put on a piece of dowel, and slowly put my weight on it and measured the difference. Used it when WeSTOC loaded and afterwards to get the 1 1/2 1 5/8th's, takes some fussing around but it works.
Old November 10th, 2010   #9
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Update:

Sweet! I've got a ~100+ miles or so of twisties under my belt and have done a couple of commutes to work (46 miles one-way). The transformation of the front suspension is just amazing after the Gold Valve implant! I can feel the fork working but almost all of the kick I used to get through the bars is gone. Front dive on braking is greatly reduced as well. How do they accomplish both? Coming into work this morning over the poor road surfaces on 101, I had a flash back to riding my ST1100, freeway manners seem a lot more calm and less busy than before.

I've almost got the Race Tech modified rear shock dialed in as well. It's better than OEM, but still seems a bit less plush than the front. As I dial out the preload it keeps getting better. Ted, I need to cobble something up as you did or have a couple folks over to help. Thanks

For the record, I am using the Sonic 1.2 springs up front with about 19mm (3/4") of preload. Out back, besides the Gold valve transplant, Race Tech fitted a 1200lb spring based on their on-line calculator
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

Old November 10th, 2010   #10
Paul

This is the FMGV S2052C kit?

Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote