ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Suspension

Old October 20th, 2011   #11
ST460

Default Re: How to Lower the ST1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger View Post
I'll take a wild guess ... loosen the bolts holding the forks in place and let the bike ease down to the desired lecel.
I changed to rear shock myself with the help of a friend. For some reasons, I didn't have the nerve to do the front fork myself. I had the Honda Mechanic do it. He charged my half hour. I didn't see what he did, but I deduced that he did exactly what you described.
Kenny
ST460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011   #12
tnrider

Kenny, I hate to show my ignorance, but if you lowered the rear a full inch how did you decide to only lower the front 3/8 inch? Is there a formula for calculating this or is 3/8 inch the limit that is recommended for lowering the front? Thanks.
tnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011   #13
ST460

The triple clamp can slide down the fork tubes by about 1/2". The mechanic did not want to max it out , so he went with 3/8". A lot of this kind of adjustment is by ride feel. I don't think there is any formula. The rear pre-load adjustment also helps to keep the bike riding level after the bike is lowered.
I also installed bar raisers that make me sit up more which puts more weight to the rear. The combination of these mods resulted in making the ST feels more like a cruiser, but has the power and cornering ability of a sports bike. I like it.
Kenny
Old October 20th, 2011   #14
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST460 View Post
Sorry, it was a mistype. I meant forks. Not problems at all after the lowering, steady as before at all speed, including triple digits.( not that I ride at that speed that often)
Kenny
No, I asked how is it possible to lower the front forks? Here, I'll try again....how did you lower the front forks 3/8ths inch? On the ST1300 the handlebars overhang the fork tubes and there is only 4 or 5 mm of clearance to lower it before the tubes hit the bars. In half an hour I can't imagine a Honda Mechanic doing anything other than lowering it 4 mm.

Last edited by dduelin; October 20th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011   #15
ST460

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
No, I asked how is it possible to lower the front forks? Here, I'll try again....how did you lower the front forks 3/8ths inch? On the ST1300 the handlebars overhang the fork tubes and there is only 4 or 5 mm of clearance to lower it before the tubes hit the bars. In half an hour I can't imagine a Honda Mechanic doing anything other than lowering it 4 mm.
I see what you are saying. Something I didn't mention was that I installed the Heli III bar riser. It moved the handle bar a couple inches closer to the rider and clear the space above the fork tube. The fork tubes are now free to slide up the triple clamp. I installed the bar riser myself. When I bought it, I didn't realize this side benefit.
Kenny
Old October 22nd, 2011   #16
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 129 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Glad that's cleared up - I was looking at mine and thinking I must be missing something 'cos I got no more than 4mm possible movement. I've seen many, many ST1300's over here in the UK but I have never seen one with risers fitted so I couldn't envisage the solution.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012   #17
tswisher21

If you still have the shock send me a e mail @tswisher21@yahoo.com thanks Tim
tswisher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012   #18
BikemikeInVirginia

Guys,
I just bought a 2007 ST and I would like to get it closer to the ground, too. I'm 5'5", 27" inseam, 57 years young. I had the seat modified this week. I'll try that for a few hundred miles, then look for suspension changes if this isn't enough. All info appreciated.
Michael
BikemikeInVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote