ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Suspension

Old September 1st, 2013   #1
jim wilson

Default Wilbers shock

Hey guyz,
any thoughts on wilbers rear shock on an ST13 ?

pro / con

jim
jim wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013   #2
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 94 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wilbers shock

Wilbers is Hyperpro and in my opinion Hyperpro knows nothing about how suspension actually works. Their wizard once told us on the early MSN forum that their progressively would spring was a rising and falling rate. When I questioned him on how this engineering marvel worked he posted numbers that meant nothing but stuck to his story that their spring rate would rise then miraculously fall all on the same stroke. Engineering genus but impossible to do.

They use a progressively wound spring. The ST does not have the wheel travel length that allows a progressively wound spring to work.
I tried both the shock and forks spring kits. They did not work.

I have No Pro to report.

On the con side it's not a Penske.

Seriously good stuff.
http://www.traxxion.com/

Pretty good stuff
http://www.racetech.com/

Paul
Old September 4th, 2013   #3
drago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim wilson View Post
Hey guyz,
any thoughts on wilbers rear shock on an ST13 ?

pro / con

jim
I have had Wilburs front springs and rear shock fitted for the last 10k and can highly recommend them.The Wilburs rear shock I fitted was custom made for our all up weight including the 25 to 30kg of luggage we always seem to have on board! The spring weight is a 210/165 and I spent a fair amount of time on set up. The static sag preload (bike only) was set fully backed off which was about right, with me sat on the bike I needed to turn up preload only half way to the first line on the remote, and then with both of us on the bike it gave us the perfect sag with it set bang on the first line, so there is still plenty of adjustment to play with.The Honda unit was always fully wound up to the max and it still bottomed out. The rebound damping is set at 10 clicks from fully soft (22 available) which is perfect for us. I also fitted the Wilburs fork springs, I used the 5 weight oil they recommend but set the air gap to 90mm not the 120mm they recommend.(since changed to 10wt with 100mm air gap) I have done about 10000 miles now and can honestly say its a different bike! the roads around the Alps especially Italy are bone shaking at times but they coped very well on the twisty mountain passes and never felt uncomfortable, its surprising the difference it makes on a long distance ride. what I have noticed is only very small adjustments seem to make a big difference.
> All the best
> Rob.

Last edited by drago; September 4th, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013   #4
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Wilbers is Hyperpro and in my opinion Hyperpro knows nothing about how suspension actually works. Their wizard once told us on the early MSN forum that their progressively would spring was a rising and falling rate. When I questioned him on how this engineering marvel worked he posted numbers that meant nothing but stuck to his story that their spring rate would rise then miraculously fall all on the same stroke. Engineering genus but impossible to do.

They use a progressively wound spring. The ST does not have the wheel travel length that allows a progressively wound spring to work.
I tried both the shock and forks spring kits. They did not work.

I have No Pro to report.

On the con side it's not a Penske.

Seriously good stuff.
http://www.traxxion.com/

Pretty good stuff
http://www.racetech.com/

Paul
So he claimed that the rate increased and then decreased all during a compression stroke? Or did he mean that the rate would fall as the shock re-extended? I don't think you could do the former without a linkage of some kind.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013   #5
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 94 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Increase and decrease during compression.
He could not explain how the did it.
There was no linkage involved.

This was all back in the early days of the ST. I don't think the 04 was out yet.
Hyperpro sold only a spring kit at the time for both front and rear. Both were progressively wound.
The front was a carbon copy of the stock spring right down to wire diameter and length.
The rear was way to soft and It used up the tight wound coils just setting sag.

Shortly after Sonic delivered the straight weight front springs in reasonable weights.
Shortly after that the rear shocks started coming with Works Performance being the first.

I had Sonic, Works & Race Tech all tell me that with the weight of the ST and the short stroke the ST shock goes through, fork spring also, it was not a good candidate for rising rate (progressive) springs.
I think we see that today with the shock/spring offerings from everybody.

Paul
Old September 4th, 2013   #6
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Yeah, I have straight rate Sonics up front with Race Tech gold valves and a 1200 lb/in straight rate Race Tech spring (actually made by Eibach) out back. OEM shock rebuilt with Race Tech gold valve. I'm very happy with this set up.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013   #7
PaulRB
The Grouch

The Wilbers shock was the early choice of the FJR guys and a group buy had some fairly large numbers out and about with it on.
It fell out of favor due to a perceived short period before a rebuild was required.
I say perceived because as it turns out the period between rebuilds has been pretty much consistent between all the suspension manufactures.
About 25,000 miles is considered the norm for oil service in the shock and since it is apart seals are always a god thing.
In my opinion the forks only go half that distance before they need the oil changed.
With the exception of new tires nothing feels as good as fresh fluids front and rear.

Paul