ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Auxiliary Fuel Systems

Auxiliary Fuel Systems Have you added an Aux fuel tank to your ST? Post pics and a description here.

Old March 23rd, 2012   #1
thomasacombs

Default Anybody carry fuel in the tanks in the hard bags?

I want to start carrying a bit of gas, about 1/2 gal. in a small tank in the hard bags. Anybody foresee any problems with that? Is a gallon too much weight to have bouncing around back there?
thomasacombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012   #2
echo

Default Re: Anybody carry fuel in the tanks in the hard bags?

You should be fine weightwise as the bags are good for 20 lbs if memory serves and a half gallon of fuel is only 3.5 pounds. I see no problem that way.

However should the fuel leak then you would have entrapped in the bag a terrifically explosive mixture of gas and air.

Of course if it didnt leak, if you completely trusted the container, then no problem.

I would wrap the container in something to keep it from bouncing around. Bouncing I would have to believe would eventually open ANYTHING.

Maybe you have a good reason to carry half a gallon of gas. But the tank holds 7.5 gallons and half a gallon is god for at most 25 miles. I fill up at half a tank so running out of gas isnt something thats much of a problem for me...
Old March 23rd, 2012   #3
thomasacombs

Yes, but I have a stupid streak and run out from time to time.
Old March 23rd, 2012   #4
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I think it would be better if you got an auxiliary tank that mounts above your passenger seat like the one shown behind me in the attached picture or get a tail-dragger like Ron Major designed for the ST1100. The second one would require a pump but, it allows you to use it with a passenger.

If you put a tank in your saddlebags, you'll have to put one in each side to balance the weight (or keep an equal amount of weight in the second bag). Either way, you're going to lose storage space.

With the tank above the passenger seat, you don't lose any storage space and it is easily removable.

If you are interested, Roy Fletcher makes these and you can reach him at 206-409-6048.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ontheroad.jpg (41.3 KB, 88 views)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012   #5
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 115 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

For the second time today I am going to agree with Echo, carrying in the saddlebag sounds very risky to me. Plus the fumes will certainly make the inside of the saddlbag reek of gasoline for a long time. I did see that someone makes a small plastic can that is form fitted to the Harley saddlebags and takes up about 1/5th of the bag's capacity. But it is custom shaped to match the contour of the bag, and therefore does not bounce around much.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012   #6
thomasacombs

thanks all
Old March 24th, 2012   #7
echo

The origional poster had his question answered to his satisfaction but i have some other thoughts as to running out of gas which may help.

A lot of pepole run their gas tanks low both in cars and bikes. I mean REALLY low. The manufacturers now make fuel monitoring systems that encourage that sort of thing. Like the "miles to empty" feature.

As a private pilot, I know you would never in a million years trust something like that. We dont even trust the fuel gauges! You have to actually look in the gas tanks (both of them) to make SURE there is fuel in there before taking off.

Running out of fuel isnt an option in an airplane. If the engine stops the plane come down. NOW. You cant pull over to the side of the road and think about a problem or get out and walk to get some gas. The plane will glide with a 9 to one ratio of height to horizontal distance. So if you are a mile high you have a 9 mile radius to find a place to set down. Less if you make turns which you have to in order to line up on a field or road. Which you pretty much have to allow for.

When my fuel gauge says half full I fill up. Or if Im on the road start looking for a gas station. What if in the middle of the night I got a call from family or a friend who needed my help? If my gas tank was on empty in NJ if the staion isnt open you cant pump the gas yourself. Youd be letting someone who needs your help down. And sooner or later we all need help.

In a vehicle that operates on the ground when you run out of gas you just pull over. There really isnt any good reason to put yourself and you family or friends in that position. I use my experience flying to always make sure I have fuel in the tank for whatever unforeseen incident may happen.

Because stuff happens and you have to be ready for it.

Last edited by echo; March 24th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.