ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Auxiliary Fuel Systems

Auxiliary Fuel Systems Have you added an Aux fuel tank to your ST? Post pics and a description here.

Old October 6th, 2008   #1
Deano
Donators

Default Aux Fuel Cell Plumbing ?

From our MSN archives:

Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

First off, my intent is not to start a debate on why I feel I NEED extra fuel capacity. We each have our own reasons for setting up our bikes the way we do.

That being said, I am accustomed having a 5-gallon cell on my 650 V-Strom and have decided I'd like one on the ST. The V-Strom was pretty straightforward. I had a fitting welded into the fuel pump mounting plate, put the cell on the rear rack and plumbed it through a solenoid valve and inline filter. When the gauge showed one bar left, I'd close the switch on the dash to start the flow and watch the gas gauge go up. I was going to do a similar install on the ST but with an RCI 4-gallon aluminum cell, cut down to about 3.7 gallons and mounted over or in place of the passenger seat and with a manual valve instead of the solenoid, (one less thing to malfunction). Knowing that the ST already has what amounts to a main cell and an auxiliary cell, I am considering plumbing the third cell into the main tank under the seat as most other installations do but installing a check valve in the hose from the factory 5.5 gallon tank and omitting the shut-off from the third cell. It seems to me that this would amount to the same thing as having a single 9.2 gallon tank feeding the one under the seat.

Okay, here's my question for the fuel plumbing experts out there. Would I be putting too much faith in the check valve to keep the 5.5 gal tank from overflowing? Thanks in advance for your advice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Delta88 - I have a aux cell on the back and can give you a few short cuts. contact me off list william.thweatt@eds.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delta88,

I helped Ron Smith design an aux tank like what you describe for the ST1300.

We plumbed the aux tank fuel line into a plug nut on the fuel pump plate of the bottom tank.

Fuel flow is slow due to the small opening but, it was the easiest way to do this.

Ron was partnered with a fabricator, Roy Fletcher, who still produces the tanks (Ron himself has passed away). Roy Fletcher's numbers are below.

Work: 425-742-5995
Email: gr8348@verizon.net

Hi Joe and others -

Does anyone know if there is a "tail-dragger" style of fuel tank designed for the ST1300 yet? I understand that this would require a fuel pump but still...I would prefer this to having to remove my passenger seat or rear trunk top box whenever I wanted the luxury of extra fuel capacity.

I was thinking of designing a cardboard template over the winter months and contracting out for construction but I would prefer to purchase a "commercial" unit that has all the bugs worked out in the final design.

Thanks for any input - Allan A

Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

I looked around and couldn't find one, the ST1100 has one available which may or may not be able to be adapted to the ST1300. After talking to a couple of friends who run 'tail draggers' on their Wingabagos, I decided the simpler gravity fed option would be more reliable for my purposes. I ended up going with the Ron Smith version Joe mentions, mainly because it leaves the rear seat in place and a friend has been running one very successfully for 3-4 years now. I should take delivery in a couple of days.

I believe Sampson Sport Touring are looking for an ST1300 owner to work with them in developing a tail dragger but tha's been on the web site for a couple of years and I don't know if hey have made any progress.

Regards

Andy

Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Contact Mark at MRCom...he has one with tank and bracket.

Mark Reis (425) 335-1296 7524 44th St NE, Marysville, WA 98270

"Ain't nothing stoppin us now but the leavin' of it all"

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Sold)
2008 ST1300A "Scarlet" (Glory Red is the Fastest)
2008 Kaw C14 (Sold)
2003 ST1300 (RIP)
15 years in No Bike Land
1986 Nighthawk S (sold)

Last edited by zldrider; November 8th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote