ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Auxiliary Fuel Systems

Auxiliary Fuel Systems Have you added an Aux fuel tank to your ST? Post pics and a description here.

Old December 12th, 2012   #21
maura
Super Moderator

Default Re: aux fuel plumbing

What many people miss is that not only are gallons different, ounces and more are , too.
The imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon, the US ounce is larger than the imperial ounce. from wikipedia

Imperial fluid ounce
1 imperial fluid ounce = 1⁄160 imperial gallon
= 1⁄20 imperial pint
= 1⁄5 imperial gill
= 8 imperial fluid drams
≈ 28.4130625 millilitres[2] (cm3)
≈ 1.733871455 cubic inches
= 1 ounce avoirdupois of water at 62 F (16.7 C)[3]
≈ 0.960759940 US fluid ounce

US customary fluid ounce
1 US fluid ounce = 1⁄128 US gallon
= 1⁄32 US quart
= 1⁄16 US pint
= 1⁄8 US cup
= 1⁄4 US gill
= 2 tablespoons
= 6 teaspoons
= 8 US fluid drams
≡ 1.8046875 cubic inches[4]
≡ 29.5735295625 millilitres (or the same number of cubic centimetres (cm3))
≈ 1.040842731 imperial fluid ounces
≈ 1.041 ounce avoirdupois (29.5 g) of water at 62 F (16.7 C)

Now the big question- does any one use gills for anything?

Last edited by maura; December 12th, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012   #22
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 157 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

while TimM is flouncing, a US quart is still 32 ounces and a gallon is 4 quarts.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012   #23
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 157 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

US gas tanks don't have gills, maybe Canadian tanks do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
What many people miss is that not only are gallons different, ounces and more are , too.
The imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon, the US ounce is larger than the imperial ounce. from wikipedia

Imperial fluid ounce
1 imperial fluid ounce = 1⁄160 imperial gallon
= 1⁄20 imperial pint
= 1⁄5 imperial gill
= 8 imperial fluid drams
≈ 28.4130625 millilitres[2] (cm3)
≈ 1.733871455 cubic inches
= 1 ounce avoirdupois of water at 62 F (16.7 C)[3]
≈ 0.960759940 US fluid ounce

US customary fluid ounce
1 US fluid ounce = 1⁄128 US gallon
= 1⁄32 US quart
= 1⁄16 US pint
= 1⁄8 US cup
= 1⁄4 US gill
= 2 tablespoons
= 6 teaspoons
= 8 US fluid drams
≡ 1.8046875 cubic inches[4]
≡ 29.5735295625 millilitres (or the same number of cubic centimetres (cm3))
≈ 1.040842731 imperial fluid ounces
≈ 1.041 ounce avoirdupois (29.5 g) of water at 62 F (16.7 C)

Yes, fish use them for breathing.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old December 12th, 2012   #24
TimM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
while TimM is flouncing, a US quart is still 32 ounces and a gallon is 4 quarts.
But a quart of olives is NOT 32 ounces... that's what I was leading to... and that most people fail to recognize. An ounce is a weight, not a volume. To get to a volume, you need flounces (my warped way of denoting fluid ounces).

I have no clue where I learned this distinction is important; somewhere I was once flounced out of money or something; but I learned that lesson and pay attention to the detail these days.

If you carefully look at the labels, most try to show this detail, too.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012   #25
TimM

Quote:
I always appreciated I got better mileage when I arrived in Canook land than when I arrived home.

It also impressed me (not!) that the Canook gallon also cost much, much more than the mere size differential would account for.
Old December 13th, 2012   #26
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I always appreciated I got better mileage when I arrived in Canook land than when I arrived home.

It also impressed me (not!) that the Canook gallon also cost much, much more than the mere size differential would account for.
Canada has not used gallons for the sale of gasoline since 1981. Road signs changed in 1977. Imperial/US measures were a nightmare here, as we were officially imperial gallons, but being culturally and economically closer to the US than the UK, all kinds of products were sold in US measure, recipes would be in US measure and would not work if you used imperial....

Because I grew up with imperial/US I remain familiar with them as well as the metric system, can convert readily in my head, even though I rarely need to. The only thing that I have lost ability with is temperature. We switched to Celsius in 1975, I 'think' in metric, so if you say the temperature is 30, my immediate sense is 'hot'. It takes me a moment to realize if the person is from the US, he or she is talking 'cold'. I know the milestone temps like 32 and 212, but I have lost any real accurate sense of what for instance 45F 'feels' like. I would have to convert it. For volume weight and distance, I do not really need to convert , I have as good a sense of 45 mph as I have of 45 kph, but temperature, I have a metric bias.
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012   #27
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 130 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Yep. Measures of whiskey, vodka, gin etc. 1/6 gill = standard measure, 1/4 gill = a large one. Those pesky eurocrats from Brussels make us mark stuff in metric at 25ml and 35ml, but 1/6 gill is still 1/6 gill, whatever ml markings are actually on the optic.

And that reminds me. They keep attacking our pint of beer and want us to use 0.5 litres. I can't be doing with saying to the current Mrs Peake 'I'm just popping down to the pub for a couple of half litres.'

And on the market stalls you still hear the trader shouting out his wares using such phrases as 'Get your lovely fresh carrots here. Only a pound a pound. Come on Missus, you know you want a feel of my carrots.'

His carrots are probbly marked up and priced in metric to comply with Eurolaw but can you imagine him yelling 'Get your lovely fresh carrots here. Only a 100 pence for 0.453592 kilograms. Come on Missus, you know you want a feel of my carrots.' It's not going to happen, no matter what some of our over zealous Trading Standards Inspectors say!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-measures.html
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012   #28
TimM

Quote:
Canada has not used gallons for the sale of gasoline since 1981. Road signs changed in 1977.
Wow - who'd ever think I could leak PI info so easily. I feel almost nailed. But then I did admit to being over 50 once. And yes Martha (a US idiom, not a slur Maura), it was back in the 70's I spent the most of my car/bike seat time in and around Victoria and Vancouver.
Old December 13th, 2012   #29
TimM

As for beer? As long as they don't do with beer that which is being done with ice cream, I'll not revolt. But if they start changing the size of my glass, I say we go find some kegs to pour out; I'll even bring my own anti-pollution device so we don't upset any natural habitat.
Old December 13th, 2012   #30
ligito
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
As for beer? As long as they don't do with beer that which is being done with ice cream, I'll not revolt. But if they start changing the size of my glass, I say we go find some kegs to pour out; I'll even bring my own anti-pollution device so we don't upset any natural habitat.
Anti-pollution device being your mouth and gullet?
That would change the output to ammonia and would pollute something.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul