ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Riding Pants

Riding Pants Do you wear pants when you ride? Which ones and why?

Old November 12th, 2008   #1
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Thumbs up Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Riding pants

My old pair of FirstGear Hyper Riding pants were wearing out and letting water in on rainy days so, I figured it was time to get a new pair. But, rather than just getting another pair of FirstGear, I decided to check out other brands and see what was available.

Part of the reason was that the new TPG pants from FirstGear were not to my liking. I tried them on at a show but, it took me 15 minutes to get the darn things on. One issue is that the zippers don't go up the leg far enough to allow you to slip your feet through with your riding boots on.

That is a MUST for me. Others may not care about that but with an Iron Butt Rider, time is everything.

So, I started searching for a pant that had zippers all the way up the leg and were waterproof with a zip in liner for those cold days.

I tried AlpineStars as I liked their jackets (and got one) but, didn't like their pants. Same with Olympia and Fieldsheer.

Then I tried the Joe Balistic 7.0 riding pants and thought they might work for me.

The had a waterproof liner and a zipper that went all the way down each leg. Their waist was a bit lower-cut than I liked but, I'm trying them out.

The zippers take a little time to adjust. The knee pads could stand to be a little bit wider and I like bigger hip pads but, all in all, I liked the pants.

I did find out the hard way that the sales lady was wrong and the pants without the liner are NOT totally waterproof too. You MUST keep the liner in to be totally waterproof. Don't ask.

Here is a link to a site so you can see and read more details:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-70-Pants.aspx

Regards,
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; November 18th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008   #2
INDYBOB7

Default Re: Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Riding pants

I had the ballistics before the Scorpions. Outgrew the ballistics. The Scorpions are not as low cut. Both are a nice pair of pants for the bucks. I tagged the Ballistics for $75 on that special shopping day around Thanksgiving and that were a deal. The Scorpions seem to be a bit tougher but haven't tried them in really heavy rain that I wouldn't be riding in. After riding in a lot of rain, I hardly take any rain on the pants because of the aerodynamics of the ST. I do recommend 2 inch suspenders for both of them. The $25 ones with tabs that pierce the pants work very well. I have the website for them if anybody is interested. Anything Joe is usually a good product; obviously Scorpion as well.
INDYBOB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008   #3
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I would be interested in the suspender button web address.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008   #4
INDYBOB7

Joe,

Web address for the suspenders is www.suspenders.com

That is the Hold Up Suspender Company of Southfield Michigan (1-800-700-4515). I bought the 2 X 4 Jumbo Clip Contractor Series in graphite black $19.95 (style 1212XS MVP). Shipping was $6.00.

Good luck.

INDYBOB7
INDYBOB7 is offline   Reply With Quote